Systems Planning and Analysis Australia Pty Ltd (SPA) is an above-the-line services provider that supports senior decision makers within the Australian Defence Force with timely and objective analysis and integrated technical, operational, programmatic, policy, and business solutions in support of important national security objectives.
SPA Australia collaborates closely with its US parent company, Systems Planning & Analysis, Inc., to provide its customer with high quality, analytic services. We regularly reach back to our parent company to leverage the experience of over 750 employees, many of whom are recognised subject matter experts and military operators. SPA Australia seeks to grow Australia’s sovereign capability through local upskilling of its workforce in order to provide the same support to the Commonwealth that SPA US has provided to the US Department of Defence for the past 48 years.
SPA is seeking a highly motivated, passionate former military professional to provide operational expertise and analytic support to the Department of Defence. The Military Operations Analyst will participate in and support the development and conduct of operational and technical analyses using a variety of quantitative, modelling and simulation-based, and/or qualitative approaches that evaluate military operations. The individual will work as part of a cross-functional, high-performance team conducting quantitative and qualitative analysis to inform decision makers at the highest levels of the government. We are seeking an individual that will:
- Use their background and operational experience to contribute to and inform technical analysis in the development of military operations assessments. Contribute to analytic teams, and develop innovative and rigorous solutions to government and military issues.
- Assist with designing, planning, developing, and documenting all assessments. Assist in the development and delivery of briefings, reports, and other contract deliverables.
- Support multiple tasks concurrently, often with constrained timelines. Tasks may be aligned to the individual’s expertise and interests but will often require individuals to rapidly learn and apply new knowledge and skills.
- Support rigorous red teaming and quality assurance reviews of analytic products to ensure consistency and accuracy.
- Facilitate communication between stakeholders from SPA Australia, SPA US, and the Commonwealth.
- Think strategically, be detail oriented, exercise independent judgment, and work autonomously with minimal supervision. Strong time-management and interpersonal skills are critical.
- Five (5) or more years of relevant military experience with at least 2 roles post-completion of primary qualification training.
- Bachelor’s degree in Operations Research, Mathematics, Data Science, Statistics, Engineering, or a related technical discipline. Alternatively, non-technical degree with demonstrated technical acumen is acceptable.
- Experience conducting qualitative and quantitative operational analysis efforts in support of military operations.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and the ability to communicate complex technical subjects to technical and non-technical decision makers.
- Active Negative Vetting 1 (Secret) security clearance.
- Experience in military operations research, systems analysis, modelling and simulation.
- Master’s degree in Operations Research, Mathematics, Data Science, Statistics, Engineering, or a related technical discipline.
- Experience leading a team of analysts to perform assessments or develop products with senior-level visibility.