Systems Planning and Analysis Australia Pty Ltd (SPA) is an above-the-line services provider that supports senior decision makers within the Australian Defence Force with timely and objective analysis and integrated technical, operational, programmatic, policy, and business solutions in support of important national security objectives.
SPA Australia collaborates closely with its US parent company, Systems Planning & Analysis, Inc., to provide its customer with high quality, analytic services. We regularly reach back to our parent company to leverage the experience of over 750 employees, many of whom are recognised subject matter experts and military operators. SPA Australia seeks to grow Australia’s sovereign capability through local upskilling of its workforce in order to provide the same support to the Commonwealth that SPA US has provided to the US Department of Defence for the past 47 years.
SPA is seeking a highly motivated, passionate problem solver to provide advanced analytical support to the Department of Defence. The Operations Research Analyst will apply rational, systematic, science-based techniques, and critical thinking to help inform and improve the Department’s decision-making abilities in relation to Defence capability across the capability lifecycle. We are seeking an individual that will:
- Design, plan, develop, and document all assessments. Develop task plans of action and timetables in order to meet established deadlines.
- Perform a wide range of analytic activities, including, but not limited to: advanced mathematical model development, simulation, systems engineering, tactical/operational analysis, optimisation, cost/benefit analysis, data exploration, and sensitivity analysis.
- Contribute to analytic teams, and develop innovative and rigorous solutions to government and military issues.
- Facilitate communication between stakeholders from SPA Australia, SPA US, and the Commonwealth.
- Assist in the development of data visualisations, briefings, reports, and other contract deliverables.
- Think strategically, be detailed oriented, exercise independent judgement, and work autonomously with minimal supervision.
- Bachelor’s degree in Operations Research, Mathematics, Data Science, Statistics, Engineering, or a related technical discipline.
- Demonstrated experience using analytic software packages and programming languages (e.g., MATLAB, AFSIM, VBA, R, Python) to provide rigorous analytic solutions, preferably Defence related. Experience developing analytic tools for data analysis, knowledge management, or decision support.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and the ability to communicate complex technical subjects to technical and non-technical decision makers.
- Ability to break down complex unstructured problems, lay out objective approaches, and develop rigorous analytic solutions.
- Ability to obtain and maintain at least a Negative Vetting 1 (Secret) security clearance.
- Military operational experience or experience in military operations research, systems analysis, modelling and simulation.
- Master’s degree in Operations Research, Mathematics, Data Science, Statistics, Engineering, or a related technical discipline.
- Experience leading a team of analysts to perform assessments or develop products with senior-level visibility.